With prizes sponsored by Back2Warcraft, The Hive Workshop has announced a very interesting contest about creating the best 1v1 melee map!
Read the article below to learn more about the contest or read it directly from the source!
Contest Rules and Conditions
- No submission may violate any of the site rules.
- If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
- All submissions must follow the current theme. If any submission does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
- You must submit your entry before the deadline. To submit your final entry, you must upload the entry's contents as a bundle in the Maps Section, and link to that bundle in this thread confirming the submission.
- Several screenshots of terrain and gameplay.
- The file in the appropriate format.
- You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
- Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
- Judges may not participate.
- Your final submission must be bug free.
- Teamwork is not allowed.
- Finding testers and voice actors to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
- Imports* may be used in the map, but they must all be credited.
*Imports should be of cosmetic use for terrain and decoration use ONLY. Any playable or killable unit should not have/be a custom import.
*Any gameplay altering data may not be changed.
*For melee maps, the game data in the editor must be set to "Melee (latest patch)"
75% of the final decision will be determined by the contest's appointed judges. The remaining 25% will be determined by a public vote.
The maps created will be judged on four different parameters:
- Balance (50%)
Is the map balanced for a player vs player 1v1? Are the positions and distance between points of interest fair? Does the map allow the 4 races to be balanced?
Consider balance when implementing the pathing, resources, creep camps, and item drops.
- Terrain (25%)
Is the map visually pleasing in mediums of terrain, doodad placement, and overall theme?
- Dynamic (10%)
Does the map include variety throughout, ensuring the map isn't stale, repetitive, or generic in gameplay?
- Creativity and Uniqueness (15%)
Does the map bring something new or creative to the table?
30 reputation points, your entry on the award icon, a T-shirt from B2W, and $100 from B2W through paypal!
20 reputation points, an award icon, and a T-shirt from B2W, and $50 from B2W through paypal!
10 reputation points, an award icon, and a T-shirt from B2W, and $25 from B2W through paypal!
In addition, higher quality maps will have a chance to make it into competitive map pools on third party leagues and tournaments.
Contest Dates and Deadline
The contest will begin on October 21st and conclude on November 21st, GMT
The contest announcement
Hive - How To Create Melee Maps
Hive - Competitive Melee Map (Balancing Melee Maps)
Hive - Terraining Guide Megathread
The Helper - Professional Melee Mapping Guide